29 February 2016

Book reading year... my last day of my 20s!!!!!!

Well, I got through twelve books out of thirty… sure, it would be nice to be able to say I read them all... I mean I did have a whole year, but considering I have also completed four university courses and worked full-time for much of the past year, not to mention moved…twice… I think I have done well!

I should add, that I did not read every one of these books entirely… I will explain why in my descriptions if I didn’t completely read it.*


Here are the books I read :

1. Life on Mars- Tracy K. Smith- Poetry
~ one of the most moving poetry collections. Smith’s poems have projected my poetic interest even higher than it already was. She uses rich symbolism and imagery to paint a picture of humanity, love and connection. (I bought this book).

2. The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson - Gonzo Journalism
~ Oh Hunter :) , I have always had a soft spot in my heart for you. This book is political and honest. There is an element of poetry in it as well. Hunter’s style is concrete and yet twisted and riddled with rants. *I loved the essays that I read * it is a rather large book filled with essays, I read some of the essays but will definitely be keeping it around to read more (bought this one).

 3. Gasoline- Gregory Corso- Poetry
~ Again… life changing poetry. Poetry has ruled my life these past two years (especially this past year). Corso is a poet who not only combined styles— from beat to formal verse— but also took inspiration from many different things. The poems in Gasoline range in theme from war, travel, his Italian heritage, love, dreams, mythology, and the life of beat generation personalities. It is hard to describe the meaning of a book of poems, it can mean something different for everyone who reads it, but I found for me this book rekindled my faith and my curiosity in humanity. (this book is on my shelf, so glad I bought it, I will be reading it from time to time… poem by poem).

4. Eating Animals- Jonathan Safran foer - Non-Fiction Animal Rights/ Veganism

~ This was a book that I was excited to read. I had great high hopes and expectations. Unfortunately to me it did not speak. This my be a perfect book for someone new to the concept of vegetarian/vegan-ism, or for a person who wants to inform themselves about factory farming and animal suffering for the production of meat/eggs/milk… However, I just felt a bit bored reading it and therefor * I read part of it * but did not finish it. Perhaps it would have inspired me more had I not already completed almost a year as a vegetarian before reading it?


5. A Room of One's Own- Virginia Woolf-  Essay: Feminism/ The life of a Writer.
~ Woolf is a writer I would recommend everyone interested in writing and/or feminism read.
A Room of One’s Own is no exception, she beautifully portrays the life of women writers and there is this statement  "a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.” which honestly I think is true (also for other forms of artistic expression) to a large degree but not only for woman but also for men.

6. The Art Of Syntax: The Rhythm of Thought, Rhythm of Song- Ellen Bryant Voigt- Poetry Craft/Language/ Music
~ This was a book that I somehow though would be more “artistic” but turned out to be quite “scientific”. The author really breaks down the meaning of syntax, the mathematics of sound, and the scientific explanation of language acquisition. It was entirely not what I had expected. I bought the book *did not read it all, but much of it*… not sure if I would have bought it looking back, but it is probably good to have around as a reference book.

7. Slouching Towards Bethlehem- Joan Didion- Essay Collection: California/ 1960's/ Changing History

~ AWESOME BOOK! If you like hippies, California culture, beat generation, movie stars, road trips, and a life examined… well this is an amazing read. A book of essays that are so full of life and of involvement that you will feel a part of the culture that Didion was in during this time.
I bought this book, I love this book, I read it from cover to cover twice.

8. Glitter In My Blood- Mindy Netifee- A Poets Manifesto
~This is basically a poets handbook. A how to book for creatives. A writers prompt and a guide for navigating life as an artist. Fun, beautifully written and with helpful and thoughtful activities.
I bough this book and I love it.

9. A Moveable Feast- Ernest Hemingway- Memoir/Paris/ 1920s
~A book of essays that I had already partly read years ago and loved. I read them again last spring (I think this was one of the first books on my list that I read) and again LOVE… Hemingway is a fine writer with a clear voice and a firm hand. He has a descriptive style that makes you believe at moments that you are with him drinking at the racetrack. As I love the 20s and that bohemian lifestyle of the jazz generation this book was a fantastically interesting read.

10. How Should a Person  Be- Sheila Heti- Memoir/ Novel/ Self- Help/ Life-Love-Sex in the 21st Century.
~I am just now reading this book and will finish it (possibly a couple days past my Thirtieth). I did not know this when I added it to my list…but… the book is set, and the author is from Toronto. Now I am living in Toronto and just now ordered the book from the library and started to read it. It is a gritty book, it is a powerful book, it may not be for every reader but I would recommend it. There are a lot of pretty vivid descriptions of blow-jobs and other sexual acts… if you are not into that type of book this may not be for you, but it is part of her story and it is a story that makes you think about your own life and your own expectations of yourself and who you think “you should be”.

11. The Dream of a Common Language- Adrienne Rich- Poetry

~ I read this book of poems (all the way through) at the beginning of this 29th year. I remember really liking it. The poems had powerful messages of nature, of release, of the wilderness of the heart… but unfortunately I read it almost a year ago and I cannot for the life of me remember my entire opinion :P But, it must have been good because I think I will order it from the library again.

12. Big Sur- Jack Kerouac- Novel
~ I am currently in the process of reading this… and will finish. This book is classic Kerouac, fiction based very closely on personal experience. Kerouac has always charged my brain full of the ideas of Buddhism, travel, personal discovery, and the art of letting go. This book is no exception… beautifully executed with moments of pure bliss… I will enjoy reading the rest of it.

Now…I will add that while I should have read more off my list perhaps… my experience and the effects of time changed my opinion on what I wanted to read or what I felt was important to read.

So I will add that I read a few other books that I feel should be added to my list:

13. The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald- Novel

~Loved it. Another book I read at the beginning of this 29th year… but I can say with confidence that Fitzgerald is a master and this book is definitely a must read for anyone who is interested in the 20s culture. I bought this book in Italy.

14. A Coney Island of the Mind- Lawrence Ferlinghetti-Poetry
~I bought this book in spring 2015 and it came with an audio CD of Ferlinghetti reading his poetry. I know ANOTHER poetry book… like I said poetry has ruled my life this past year. This is not just another poetry book, this is a book of great emotion and of great joy and humour. The readings on the CD are fun and fantastic, his voice is like a funny, slightly dirty grandpa reading aloud… full of wisdom and experience and laughter.

15. Book of Haikus- Jack Kerouac- Poetry
~I am in the process (almost done) of reading through this book entirely of Haikus. F-ing fantastic…. honestly this book has inspired not only my creative/poetic side… but renewed a now joy in me that needed a push to the bright side. This book is full of lovely reminders about the beauty of life and the joy of the small things. Also a great tribute to the beauty, power, and spirituality of nature.





This is my Haiku... inspired by Jack...


Tomorrow is the last day
— of my twenties
My yawning proves.

On springlike Sunday
— I rest
The laundry does itself.


The train rumbles
across Christie Street
—inexplicably happy.

I leave it at this… and will write a THIRTY blog post a.s.a.p.




LOVE LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment