12 January 2016

(Un)resolutions, or How to quit trying to do everything perfectly

It is that time of year again (or perhaps just past that time...) when people are giving things up (smoking, carbs, negative thoughts, etc etc), starting new habits, exercising, setting goals, resolving to "do better" this year....

While I commend the will to change; and I admire positive intentions, sometimes it seems our world has become obsessed with better, stronger, healthier, wiser, smarter, quicker... and so on.

This is fueled by our positive intentions (good) to make ourselves better people, to make the world a better place, and to live a life that we can be proud of... and that is great.

But, it is also fueled by something that has become at once our greatest tool, and our greatest enemy. The Internet.

Facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter, health blogs, fitness, parenting advice, traveling.... we are so saturated with other peoples' projections of themselves (and it is always the best that is posted.... you never see someone having a meltdown, gaining weight, struggling to handle their toddler...), we are so overwhelmed by advice...

So, in light of this... I am not going to give any advice... but just to say I have decided to make my (un)resolution for 2016

I am not going to "give up" anything
I am not going to put pressure on myself to be anything 
I am going to allow myself the permission to do my best
I am going to eat, do, feel, be around what feels good for me

So live your best 2016... whatever that means to you :)

And I will be (maybe) writing another post soon about turning 30.



Image result for almost 30



No comments:

Post a Comment