19 February 2015

Learning a language

Some of the funniest moments in life happen to people who learn a new language as an adult. Today I  mixed up the words for penis and pen (Pene and Penna in Italian) while nervously trying to say "I dropped my pen".

At the restaurant the waiter looked at us (my two Italian course classmates and myself) like we were from another planet when we couldn't order our food quickly enough for his liking.

I have also learned a brand new vocabulary of hand gestures (of course I am not fluent... not even in body language) including the gestures for "What the Fuck (who what where...)?"  and "I don't care (I couldn't care less)" of course these are rough translations, as there are lots of particularities in every language and culture; things that just don't have a direct translation to any language but their own.

Here are my simple examples of the above gestures....


  Have a great weekend everyone...
I am off to learn more and explore Torino this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment